Our Team: Ellis Liu, Associate
Ellis C. Liu is a commercial litigator and trial attorney. His practice focuses on business disputes and employment matters.
Ellis represents companies in complex commercial litigation, including breach of contract, bad faith, fraud, business divorce, real estate (commercial lease disputes, landlord, development disputes, purchase and sale agreements, restrictive covenants, condominium association, and homeowners’ association), construction and construction defects, and civil rights.
Additionally, he represents employers and employees in labor and employment actions, including non-compete, non-solicitation, non-disclosure and confidentiality, discrimination, and FLSA minimum wage and overtime.
Ellis practices in federal and state courts, including the federal Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. Along with his attorney roles, Ellis has also presided as a mediator in 120 small claims and landlord-tenant mediations.
Immediately prior to joining the firm, Ellis practiced at two national AmLaw 200 firms representing businesses in complex commercial disputes and catastrophic tort actions.
Ellis also clerked for the Honorable Steve C. Jones in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia on a fellowship.
He received his law degree from Emory University and his undergraduate degree from the University of Georgia.
Born in Atlanta, Ellis has served in every branch of Georgia’s government, and he has drafted and lobbied for a bill to protect Georgia’s minors from felony prosecution under state obscenity laws (enacted July 2013). He currently serves as vice president of the Atlanta Bar's Council of Younger Lawyers, where he started a mentorship program to teach personal finance to young lawyers, and chaired its Associates' Campaign. He is active with the Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, where he helped secure one of the largest awards in AVLF history on behalf of a pro bono client. In 2016, the Atlanta Business Chronicle included him in "Atlanta's Who's Who: 30 Under 30," and the Atlanta Bar Association selected him as "Young Lawyer of the Year." In 2017, he graduated from the State Bar of Georgia's Leadership Academy. In 2018, he was selected a Super Lawyers Rising Star.
- Defended world's largest mobile-app rideshare company in catastrophic injury and wrongful death matters
- Defended world’s largest privately held vehicle fleet management company in transactional and litigation matters, including traumatic brain injury case against South’s leading plaintiff’s trucking firm
- Defended nation’s top-10 LTL freight carriers in transportation actions
- Defended nation’s leading agriculture retailer in premises liability action
- Defended world's largest manufacturer of endoscopes and morcellators in products liability actions
- Represented world's largest manufacturer of medical-grade textiles in breach of contract action
- Defended banks and consumer reporting agencies in federal consumer protection class actions
Publications and Presentations:
- “Litigation for Good,” The Litigator, Fall 2018
- CLE: “Enhancing Mediator Advocacy Skills,” Atlanta Bar Association, May 2018
- “State Bar of Georgia 2017 Access to Justice Campaign,” The Atlanta Lawyer, January 2017
- CLE: “Rideshares to the Strip Club: Employee and Independent Contractor Classification,” Atlanta Bar Association, November 2016
- CLE: “Defending under a Reservation of Rights: Practical and Ethical Considerations,” Gordon & Rees Webinar, November 2016
- “Reducing Liability for Small and Medium Companies,” The Atlanta Lawyer, October 2016
- CLE: “Changes to the Federal Rules on Discovery,” Atlanta Bar Association, May 2016
- CLE: “Bedroom to Courtroom: Ashley Madison Litigation,” Atlanta Bar Association, October 2015
- “The Importance of Networking,” Orientation, Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, August 2014
- “Atlanta Bar Networking Tips,” The Atlanta Lawyer (contributor), July 2014
Congratulations to our Cohan Law Group Team. We have recently been awarded the Lawyers.com Clie..
Last week we (Louis Cohan and Michelle Wein) won a Motion to Dismiss - defeating an adversary pr..
The Litigator published this excellent article by one of our attorneys - Ellis Liu. Click here (..