Bert began his career at the Atlanta law firm of Johnson and Montgomery where he handled general civil litigation, minority shareholder disputes, Chapter 11 Bankruptcy reorganizations for real estate developers and appellate work. Through the firm's representation of a local government, he also litigated civil rights claims, land use and condemnation issues and conducted over 20 jury and bench trials of property tax challenges as lead attorney within the first three years of his practice.
Bert then practiced with Louis Cohan at Weinstock & Scavo, P.C., before leaving to oversee all commercial litigation at Fine and Bock where for fourteen years he helped businesses and business owners resolve ownership, management and contractual disputes, restrictive covenants, insurance coverage challenges, construction litigation, commercial and multifamily property management issues, and guided compliance with federal, state, and local laws affecting property management and development.
A native of Savannah, Georgia, Bert graduated from the University of Georgia where he was vice president of Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity before attending the UGA Law School on a full scholarship. Along with his wife, Bert raised a family in Brookhaven where he has been active in local community affairs.
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. - 1990
- Honors: Bryant T. Castellow Memorial Scholar; Mock Trial Board; The Joseph Henry Lumpkin American Inn of Court (pupil member)
- University of Georgia
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Honors: With High Honors In Political Science - 1987
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi, Phi Eta Sigma, Pi Sigma Alpha
- AV® Preeminent™ rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Planning Commissioner for the City of Brookhaven, Georgia -2014-2019
- Past President of the Brookhaven Fields Civic Association
- Coach for High School Mock Trial Team
- Fine and Block Attorneys
- Weinstock & Scavo, P.C.
- Johnson and Montgomery
- Co-author "The Development of the Shareholder's Direct Action Damage Remedy," Georgia State Bar Journal, Vol. 28:195 (1992)
- Co-author "Strategies for Overcoming Property Tax Law Challenges in Georgia," NBI 2004.
- Co-author “Property Tax Issues for Manufacturers in Georgia," NBI 2001
- State Bar of Georgia General Practice and Trial, Insurance Law, and Real Property Law Sections
- Atlanta Bar Association Litigation Section
Current Employment Position
- Business Litigation
- General Civil Litigation and Appeals
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Georgia, 1990
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Georgia, 1990
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Georgia, 1994
- Supreme Court of Georgia, 1990
- Georgia Court of Appeals, 1990